Thursday, March 1, 2012

Statement on Painting by American Tonalist Painter Charles Philip Brooks



The tradition of Tonalist painting is one of intimate and nuance-filled art. The aim of my predecessors has been to reach ever-heightening subtleties of form through the poetic rendering of nature. In this spirit, my work is a continuation of a century-old tradition of American landscape painting. Many of my paintings reflect humble subjects, which I return to often and work from with great care. My interest lies in landscapes that remain largely untouched by modern development, but instead preserve the quiet aspects of the natural world. I paint the landscape of North Carolina because it is natural for a painter of landscapes to admire familiar places and to make them the foundation of his work.

Featured painting "A Gray Day at Sea" by Charles Philip Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment